Vegan No Oloh
(Smoked eggplant with spices)
It is a Gujarati delicacy. It is prepared by Smoking the eggplants till cooked and then peeling of the skin , the pulp is chopped roughly, which is the main ingredient of the recipe.
This recipe is very popular in Gujarat, especially loved by the Kathiawari tribe of Gujarat, they belong to the Saurashtra region of Gujarat.
4 tblsp oil
a pinch asafoetida
8 sprigs spring onions chopped
2 medium tomatoes chopped
1 kg brinjal
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
salt to taste
12 sprigs green garlic chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds
- Roast the brinjals till the outer skin is charred.
- Put them in water and then take off the skin.
- Mash the pulp.
- Heat up oil.
- Mix in cumin seeds and stir fry for a while.
- Mix in cut green garlic, spring onions and green chillies.
- Stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Mix in cut tomatoes, turmeric powder, asafoetida, salt and the pulp of brinjals.
- Stir fry for few minutes and serve hot.
- The color of this bharta is green.